Thursday, June 09, 2005

The story of my son's name

A son is usually a mirror of his father. When I watch my five-year-old son, it seems that a documentary film for my childhood is playing. How could someone be so similar to me? The question is, “ Do I treat him in the way as well as my father did?”

We will go to Germany for almost one year this summer. My son, Mark, has longed for that country since he knew it is a place near Santa Claus’ hometown. Why do I call him Mark? I notice being named Mark in Germany is just like being named New Taiwan Dollar in Taiwan. According to his mother's explanation, he was named after a catholic saint who wrote one of the four gospels. Honestly, there is a secret behind it. When my wife became pregnant, I was reading a story written by Mark Twain. Then I suggested if it was a boy, we call him Mark; if it was a girl, call her Twain. That’s also the reason why we had never planned a second pregnancy. We are afraid that they will be twains.

No comments: