Thursday, June 16, 2005

My son, I believe you can!


Mark had enjoyed his kindergarten life until once he got wounded on the face. He refused to go to school in the next morning. According to his statement, an older child called Bao provoked him first by laughing at that he was unable to climb a tree and then they started fighting.

He also acknowleged that Bao was persona non grata in school. He behaved rude and arrogant because his mother is the chairperson of the kindergarten.

After listening to his clarification, I pondered for a long while. Should I speak to the teachers and the chairperson - the defendant's mother?

This is not the first time Mark has collided with his classmates but it is the first time he has been so unwilling to go to the kindergarten where he used to brook no delay to go after he opened his eyes in the morning. Hence, I understood it really meant something to him.

Those who get burned are all afraid of fire. I had better adapt some emergency measures to prevent this fear from growing inside Mark. On the other hand, I think there is a nature law in children's relationships with one another. The more parents are involved, the more distorted it is.

Truly, I can neither stay with my son nor protect him forever. The most important lesson that he needs to learn from frustration is to cheer up and face the music. If one loses confidence, one loses him/herself. One's confidence is rooted on the sense of being loved. So, I gave Mark a big hug and told him,"

No matter if you can climb a tree or not, I will always love you to the end of the earth."

After coming home from school, I asked Mark if any thing was wrong between him and Bao. He said in a careless tone, "Bao laughted at me again today." I was a little concerned, and then he continued, "I told him that I was too small to climb a tree, but I know one day I can."

No comments: